Cult of the Mouse

I have been a big supporter of Henry and his book.
I started reading the book again, after it sat on my shelf for about 3 years.
It's funny how the message of a book can evolve as your perspectives on your job change.

The first time I read this book, I saw most of Henry's points as only having to do with the giant animation studios. Now, I read it from the perspective of the smaller studios, runaway production, the world is flat, and the lack of innovation in animation today. Everyone is just trying to make money. No one is trying to build anything anymore. Steve Jobs may have been the last guy to be in it for the long haul as far as animation is concerned.

I guess Eisner was right in that memo he wrote at Paramout years ago, "We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. Our only obligation is to make money.” I encourage you all to get this book and read it. Henry's insight into the future of corporate america based on pleasing a board of directors with short term profits tells the tale of the death of innovation in the workplace.